These Proven Benefits Of Peppermint Tea Will Encourage You To Drink It Daily
We are bound to eat or drink anything minty whenever we feel that we have bad breath or we want an instant refreshment. The most popular form of mint that we usually consume is peppermint. It is an aromatic herb that is the cross between spearmint and watermint. We usually eat it in the form of breath mints, candies, and use it in toothpaste, mouthwashes, etc. But do you know that it can be consumed in the form of tea? All you have to do is boil some peppermint leaves in water, rest it in water and then strain it. The next step is to enjoy your utterly refreshing tea. It also tastes terrific; it is mildly sweet but minty.
But are you aware that several benefits of peppermint tea make it a blessing in disguise? Many Asians and Europeans have been drinking peppermint tea from thousands of years. Due to it being completely natural and so refreshing, it is widely popular.
Check Also: Whey protein price
Below are some benefits of peppermint tea listed for you to include it in your daily routine.
- Say bye to bad breath: Bad breath occurs when there is an excessive bacterial presence in our mouths or when we eat something with a very strong flavor like garlic. Peppermint has anti-bacterial properties that will help get rid of those stinky bacteria. Furthermore, peppermint also fights off the plaque that might be causing that foul smell. So, it is common to find peppermint or menthol in refreshing mouthwashes, toothpastes, etc. Therefore, having peppermint tea daily will ensure that you never experience bad breath days.
- Improves gut health: One of the other benefits of peppermint tea is that it acts as the stomach healer as peppermint oil soothes bloating, stomach aches, cramps, heartburn, diarrhea, indigestion, etc. Many scientific experiments have shown that people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) experienced better healing when their treatment included peppermint oil. The digestive tract muscles are also known to relax when peppermint oil is applied. Having peppermint tea after a late, heavy dinner and before sleeping will help with heartburn.
- Helps relieve sore throat: We all suffer from sore throat. And the bad news is that it doesn’t go away easily. And with a sore throat, comes other problems like headache, runny nose, inability to speak properly. But, the menthol present in peppermint helps relieve sore throat. Because menthol has pain-relieving property and has such a strong, cooling flavor, it numbs the throat. The irritation caused by sore throat can thus be calmed by drinking a hot cup of peppermint tea.
- Cures headache: Having a headache regularly is one of the worst problems. There is no solution other than popping a pain killer every time, right? Try peppermint tea instead. You will soon replace all those medicines with peppermint leaves. The headaches caused due to poor diet or stress restrict brain blood vessels. Peppermint expands those blocked blood vessels relieving the pain. The strong minty aroma may also help with the headache.
- Helps with sinus: The menthol present in peppermint has antispasmodic properties, which means it relaxes tightened or inflamed muscles. It calms inflamed mucous membranes present in sinuses. Menthol also thins mucus that blocks sinus passageways to aid comfortable breathing. It acts as a decongestant, breaking up phlegm and mucous congestion. The aroma of peppermint tea can alleviate sinus problems.
- Relieves stress: Stress is like an inescapable cyclone in this fast life. Stress is so much rooted in our lifestyle that even a child has it. Stress causes hindrance in achieving the set goals due to the headache and overthinking that comes with it. And peppermint tea might help you deal with stress. Due to menthol’s antispasmodic nature, the muscles instantly relax, relieving your stress. The peppermint tea is also caffeine free and reduces blood pressure. It also cools down the body temperature.
- Improves sleep: Insomnia is becoming common with every passing day. If that isn’t enough, we have so much to do in the 24 hours that we often compromise our sleep. Also, sound sleep has become rare. Studies suggest that having a cup of peppermint tea before sleep can help us sleep better. And that is because it has a calming effect on both our minds and body. Peppermint tea is better than coffee or tea as it is caffeine-free and as you must be aware, caffeine delays sleep.
- Aids in weight loss: Weight loss is probably the no. 1 on everyone’s to-do list. The fast-paced lifestyle gives us less time to cook, more processed options to choose from, and an unending desire to stay healthy. Adding to that, several health issues like thyroid, PCOD, etc. slow down the weight loss process. Peppermint tea is known to keep you full for longer and has no calories. Its aroma is appetite-suppressant and doesn’t let you overeat. Therefore, one of the benefits of peppermint tea and probably the most desirable one is that it aids in weight-loss. Raw whey protein helps you lose weight.
- Boosts immunity: The menthol in the tea acts as a cooling agent for the body internally while the hot tea will make you sweat. Together, the two works magically when you experience fever, and thus, will also prevent fever. The tea also has anti-bacterial properties which improve immunity. It has potassium, vitamin B, and various antioxidants which will keep your body healthy.
I am sure that these benefits of peppermint tea are enough to incorporate it into your lifestyle. No matter it is being used for thousands of years!
Although it is not recommended for pregnant women and people who are allergic to menthol shouldn’t consume it. Some people also experience mild heartburns after drinking it.